Followers

Saturday, August 14, 2010

IF YOU WANT TO WALK ON WATER...


John Ortberg

  ...YOU'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT!  








The book is the winner of the 2002 Christianity Today Book Award.  John Ortberg has served as Pastor of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in Menlo Park, California since 2003.  He served other churches including Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois, where he was teaching pastor for 9 years and where he was serving when he completed the above volume.


I became aware of John Ortberg as a speaker and writer a few years ago when I read his book, When it is all over, it all goes back into the box.  I enjoyed his Biblical insights, his straight-forward evangelical theology, and his crisp humor.  So when I heard about this book (though it had been out for awhile), I was ready to listen.  Dr. Tommy Cunningham, on one of his visits with me during my hospital stay in February, told me about discovering and enjoying the book, If You Want to Walk on Water... and he encouraged me to read it.  I noted his recommendation and ordered the book.  My wife started reading it before I got the chance, and she shared insights with me.  Recently, I got my opportunity and found it very meaningful, and it became a reference for me as I have taught six lessons from the passage found in Matthew 14: 22-33.


I was encouraged to hear God speaking to me and his churches that we do not need to sit in the boat...that we do need to hear the Master calling us to life and ministry beyond the boat life...and that "if we ever expect to walk on water, we have got to get out of the boat!"  Thanks to John Ortberg for penning this enjoyable and challenging volume, and for Pastor Cunningham for recommending it.  I now commend it to all those who take time to read my musings in the White River blog.

No comments: